Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gyeongju famous hanok

Gyeongju - Hanok means Korean Traditional house.    I was totally surprised when I was told that we are going to stay in one of Korea's heritage homes - a traditional Korean house.  This trip was full of surprises for me.  This house is around 100 years old.   You have got to appreciate the beauty of the iconic hanok architecture. 

Entrance to our home for 1 night
me at the entrance
Steps into the living room

This movie shows how you can ingeniously keep the doors wide open and allow breeze to flow through the house.

After exploring this beautiful house, we played a traditional Korean folk game.  I have seen this game during a Chinese movie called 'Red Cliff'. 

me taking a shot to enter the pot
arrow in mid air
My bedroom
Sleeping area with Mosquito net

We will sleep on the floor. The 'pink and brown' will  be the comforter to be slept on, the 'green' will be the blanket as it gets cold at night and the pillow are on top.  Only one for my head.   There is also the mosquito net which you need to mound up as there were many bugs in the middle of the night.  This Hanok is in the middle of the Korean mountain area.

Mr Do preparing our Ramen dinner in this  kitchen
After eating the Ramen, we were still hungry so we drove into town searching for food.  We settled for a BBQ restaurant serving beef and it was delicious.   We had lots of beers and Soju.  Finally,we had a dish of raw beef - Koreans love this dish but was urge to give it a try, which I did and it was tasty.

Dish of raw beef

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Great post! I will be in Gyeongju in May and am looking for a traditional Hanok to stay. What was the name of the one you stayed at and do they have a website? Thank you!