Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Okonomiyaki

TOKYO - Arrived today from Seoul and stayed at Hotel East 21. The good news is that there is a direct Limo Bus to the Hotel but only twice a day from Narita to Hotel East 21. My first trip to Tokyo was on 7 Aug 2000, thus making this trip my 21st trip to Tokyo.

Leaving @ 10:25am and 5.25pm. I caught the 5.25pm Limo bus that took me directly to the Hotel - this is much more convenient. Next time, I will time my SQ flight to catch this Limo bus transfer.

Hotel East 21 rooms are much smaller but for the price I am paying - it's ok. This Hotel is also popular for families going to the Tokyo disneyland as there are shuttle to and fro provided by the Hotel.

This time I travelled with Mahboud and he wants to try Okonomiyaki (I tried it once before) and the concierge told us that it is around Kiba station, could not give us an exact location. It was quite a distance to Kiba station and we manage to find the restaurant with the help of a convenience store boss.

I was not disappointed with the food as it was really good and especially the chef. He looks like the master in Karate kid - always smiling. I like this restaurant and will come back again.

It is pronounced as O-ko-no-mi-ya-ki. Okonomi means "your choice" and Yaki means "grill" - so literally it means grill it yourself...LOL. But it was the chef that did it for us. Okonomiyaki is found in the Hiroshima and Osaka region. It is a pancake layered with cabbage and toppings of your choice. Toppings may include beef, chicken, bacon, squid, octopus and mushrooms. Sometimes called "Japanese Pizza".


Restaurant: Hai Sen Bon - contact: 3644-5956 (located near Kiba subway station and bridge)
The Okonomiyaki each cost about 650yen to 800yen. A can of coke cost about 300yen each.

No comments: