Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chicken Backside...

Seoul - The arrival to Seoul was delayed by 30 mins as the pilot needed to take a different route to avoid an incoming typhoon that will be approaching Seoul. I got on board the limo bus bound for Renaissance Seoul hotel - half through the journey it rained heavily and continued till I arrived the hotel 1 1/2 hrs later. Fortunately, the hotel staff were standing by with umbrellas in hand. This made it much easier as I wheeled my luggage to the front desk. YJ wad already waiting for me at the hotel.

We had dinner near the hotel. There are many good restaurants nearby. I wanted to eat sashimi or sushi but none was around, so we popped into a Korean BBQ restaurant and ordered Kalbi - Korean BBQ beef ribs. We were joined later by a good friend - Baek. According to YJ he wanted to meet me. He was at home and got on the subway to meet me in 1/2 hr in the rain.

Throughout the meeting, no mentioned of business was brought up and we had a good dinner and a laughable time drinking. Koreans like to drink.  We had the infamous liquor - Seoju .  I hold my liquor very well and never got drunk or made a scene in Korea or anywhere else. Especially when on business the ability to hold one's liquor spreaks highly of a person.

After dinner we move to another place to continue our drinks and good time.  We had another kind of liquor - Bak Se Ju.   Bak Se Ju literally means '100 years wine'.  Bak Se Ju is a Korean glutinous rice-based fermented alcoholic beverage flavored with a variety of herbs including licorice, omija (Schisandra chinensis), gugija (Chinese wolfberry), Astragalus propinquus root, ginger, and cinnamon, ginseng most prominent among them. According to some, the name comes from the legend that the healthful herbs in baekseju will help you live to be 100 years old.  



YJ asked me whether I tried chicken ass - I said no and in Singapore - we just threw it away..they called it Dak Dong Jib Marinated sautéed chicken ass. 

Dak Dong Jib

No comments: