Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Work, work, work...

Bangalore - I had breakfast with Lesley - it was the same type of dishes served the last time I was here.   Well, I ate the same food but more fruits and juices.  Ate eggs without yolk - full of cholesterol....

It was seminar day for me and I did about 2 hrs of presentation and it felt really good - I had not done public speaking for a long time.  The audience was really good and some participated.   Lunch was part of the seminar.   The lamb Goulash and Chicken was really good and it went well with their special rice.  I really don't know why the Nann is always burnt - it taste good but tried to avoid charred food as it's carcinogen.

This is what I gathered from the Internet....If foods are overheated or burnt, a group of carcinogenic substances called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are produced. PAHs represent a very large group of compounds. Chemically, they consist of fused aromatic rings made up of carbon and hydrogen atoms.  After being ingested, PAHs can be absorbed in the intestine and distributed to other organs through blood circulation.
Besides cancer-causing, PAH exposure is also associated with many adverse effects in laboratory animals, including reproductive toxicity, cardiovascular toxicity, bone marrow toxicity, immune system suppression, and liver toxicity.

Dinner was at the Hotel restaurant - remembering that the last time the main dishes were large portions - I just ordered 1 portion and it was a seafood dish + complimentary soup.   The seafood is not fresh but frozen and I think they cook it with heavy spices to musk any taste - I would prefer simple BBQ (i.e. without heavy spices)  if it is fresh as it brings out the freshness of the seafood dish.

No comments: