Thursday, August 16, 2007

Searching..

JAKARTA - There are lots of security checks entering buildings and hotels - for both people and cars. Cars are checked on their undercarriage, boot, passengers and bonnet too - and the security personnel were polite. Every time, I go back to Le Meridien Hotel - there is a metal detector that I need to pass through. It can be troublesome but it is the high crime that worries me the most.

Even my Indonesian partners advise me never to walk on the streets alone at night or even daytime, it can be very dangerous. Obviously, I don't see many foreigners walking around too. If you intend to go from building to building take a bluebird or silverbird taxi.

Lunch was @ The Buffet - it was all you can eat for just Rp 55,000 (about S$10). It is extremely cheap with a similiar restaurant would cost at least 3-4 times as much. The food was not to my liking - either too oily, too sweet. There was not one dish that I really like but I was in good company and that matters.

Dinner was @ Pepper Lunch - at Plaza Indonesia. Pepper Lunch also has branches in Singapore but I have never tried it. You had to queue and a number tag was given. We did not know what this big number tag was for - 75 - until the waiter brought us to the table no. 75. Aha! The food is good and the beef is very tender...the meal for 2 cost about Rp128,000 (S$22.50). That is quite reasonable.

Plaza Indonesia is a posh shopping centre comparable to the Paragon @ Orchard in Singapore. Lots of high-end fashion brands have boutique shops catering to the super rich Indonesians. Don't intend to spend shopping money we adjourned to Grand Hyatt Hotel which is adjacent to this shopping centre. Grand Hyatt Hotel is beautiful hotel and of course the lobby is grand - we had drinks at the Burgundy bar and had my usual Baileys on the rocks.

Tomorrow will be Indonesia's 62nd Independence day - it will be a public holiday but I will be on my way back to Singapore.

No comments: