Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Insadong - the arty scene of Seoul - must visit to Seoul

Knock-knock "House-keeping"...open the door in my daze and was pissed that someone woke me up from my slumber before the alarm bell. This was the first time such a nuissance happened to me.

Visited Insa-dong - it looks like the arty scene of Seoul. Insa-dong, located in the middle of the city, is an important place where old but precious and traditional goods are on display. There is one main road in Insa-dong with alleys on each side. Within these alleys are galleries, traditional restaurants, traditional teahouses, and cafes. The shops in Insa-dong are very popular among all age groups, because each store is unique. The galleries are the heartbeat of Insa-dong.

I bought a souvenir that looks like the shape of a question mark, "?" - do you know what it is for?
A: To scratch my back....

Lunch was interesting because Young-jin insisted that we have it at a popular traditional Korean restaurant but it comes with waiting standing outside the entrance for 30 minutes and the queue was always filling up. Well, in Singapore if locals are willing to wait for a good meal - it must be good. So, I hope this principle applied here too. I was not disappointed - the food was good and reasonably priced. We had the traditional Bi-Bim-Bap, which is a popular Korean dish - literally means "mixed rice". Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm rice topped with sauteed and seasoned vegetables, beef, a fried egg, and gochujang (chili pepper paste). The ingredients are stirred together thoroughly just before eating.

Later, we went for traditional Korean tea - the ambiance was quaint and very traditional. But the tea taste normal to me. I was expecting some tea drinking experience but nothing of that sort happened. I had The drink of choice is Omija-hwachae ("five-taste" tea), from the fruit of the Chinese magnolia vine, which is rich in organic acids and helps suppress coughs and soothe dry throats. Young-Jin had mogwa-cha (Chinese quince tea), which is high in vitamin C and helps prevent colds and suppress coughs. It is a favourite winter tea.

I had dinner alone with one of my favourite dish, Gori-Gom Tang (Ox-tail soup). .....

No comments: