Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Feelling cold in Tokyo - 16 Jan 2007



On 16 Jan 2007, I arrive Tokyo from Singapore and it was freezing. On top of that, I was not feeling too well - coughing and a cold. A good friend, Phill was waiting for me at Narita Airport - we both took the Limousine bus to the hotel because we have big luggages. Otherwise, take the Narita Express (train) direct to Tokyo, from there it is easy to get to your hotel.

As always the Limousine bus arrives on time, our bags are taken and put into the under carriage of the bus. The bus driver will rattle someting in Japanese and bow to all the passengers - that is really cool. It just shows that Japanese takes their job with pride.
My 1st trip to Japan was to Osaka on business in Oct 1999.

Hotel Review:
Hotel: Hotel East 21
Pros: Price is reasonable @ Yen 18,000 includes breakfast and broadband internet access
Cons: about 45 minutes via subway to Shinjuku and not much buzz around the hotel
Recommendation: I would recommend this hotel if you are looking at a reasonably priced hotel

SURGICAL MASK

The next day, I was feeling much worse and was advise to use the "surgical face mask", which I had it in my luggage everytime since the SARS. I took it out and it was great - the mask traps the mositure and it gives relief to the nassal passage.

I first saw the use of surgical face mask in public was in Tokyo. I think the reason is hygiene and also stop the spread of contagious cold and flu from one person to another. People who are not feeling well and have to travel on buses and train will put on surgical mask.
It is a good practice to have a surgical mask handy - you will not know when you will need it. Other ways to protect yourself from germs: Practice good hygiene. Scrub your hands often with soap and water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer such as Purell.

No comments: